What is Divorce Coaching
“Divorce coaching is a flexible, goal-oriented process designed to support, motivate, and guide people going through divorce to help them make the best possible decisions for their future, based on their particular interests, needs, and concerns. Divorce coaches have different professional backgrounds and are selected based on the specific needs of the clients. For example, some divorce coaches are financial planners, mental health professionals, lawyers, or mediators who have experience dealing with divorcing clients."
~ The American Bar Association
Divorce Coaches effectively support people going though Separation and Divorce. The types of support that they provide vary according to their clients’ needs. Some people need emotional encouragement, some need help with learning to effectively communicate with their ex partners, and others need to have insight as to what their triggers are so that they may better control and manage their emotional responses. The reality is that people seek out Divorce Coaches for many different reasons. Although Divorce coaching is a relatively new profession in the area of divorce, lawyers, mediators, and clients all agree that they have successfully filled a much needed void. A Divorce Coach can play a vital part of your support team as they can serve a variety of very important functions. Here are some things that a Divorce Coach can do for you:
- Help you to organize. When people separate, there are so many things to consider and to think about. A Divorce Coach can help you to organize your financial paperwork; help you to complete financial statements, and all in all, make these tasks seem less overwhelming so that you feel more in control of your situation.
- A Divorce Coach can assist you in finding the best lawyer and/or Mediator for your budget and for your particular unique situation as they maintain a roster of the various professionals in the world of divorce.
- A Divorce Coach can help prepare you for meetings with your lawyer. Lawyers are expensive and they bill for their time. Coming to legal meetings equipped with questions helps to keep you on track which in the end, results in lower legal fees.
- Divorce Coaches can help you to prepare for emotionally charged meetings with your lawyer. Talking about the kids, the house, the family assets, all of these topics can be stressful. The Divorce Coach can help clients prepare for these meetings where the sensitive subjects are negotiated and discussed.
- Are you concerned about your budget and your finances? Divorce Coaches can help you to analyze your lifestyle and assist you with planning a reasonable budget.
- A Divorce Coach can help you to determine what you are going to say to your friends and family about your divorce. People ask a lot of questions and some of these questions can be very personal. A Divorce Coach can arm you with the tools that you need to deal with these kinds of situations.
- Communication breakdown is one of the top reasons that marriages fail. If you have children with your ex spouse you will need to learn how to effectively communicate with them. A Divorce coach can assist you with this. Marriages may end, but families continue forever.
- Divorce can be downright ugly. A Divorce Coach teaches you to be aware of your emotional triggers and provides you with a better skill-set to keep them in check. This new found control allows you to preserve both your integrity and your dignity.
- A Divorce Coach can walk you through different situations in numerous creative ways. This will provide you with insight in regard to to how your decisions will impact your future. This will enable you to make better and more knowledgeable decisions.
- Divorce Coaching makes you a better client for your lawyer. You will obtain the skills to convey your needs and wants more effectively, and you will be a better listener.
- Divorce Coaches support, empower, and encourage clients.
Going through a Separation or Divorce can be distressing with so much to do and to consider. By working together with your Divorce coach; you will move confidently into the next chapter of your life, which will enable you to enjoy all that life has to offer.